With the basic game dynamics working, I started to add animation to the assets. Blender's glTF exporter makes exporting animations to webGL relatively simple, but there were still plenty of Opportunities For Learning (OFL) to occur. :)
One challenge with working on a project part-time is the variation in the look and feel of the models created. I didn't have a good sense of whether I wanted the game to feel realistic or cartoony. I didn't know if I wanted something that felt modern or pseudo-historical. That generated a wide variation in the assets I created. But I finally found some reference images that were close to what I wanted, so I went back and started updating the assets, concentrating on keeping everything consistent.
With the basic game dynamics working, it is time to get started on the visual elements of the game. The plan is to use openGL on a browser for the interactive/dynamic elements. During the first attempt at creating a game, this was killed the project. This time, I am trying to take a structured, building-block approach. Creating the elements has, so far, been fairly simple!
The first task was to design an overall program structure that would share data efficiently between the server (running node.js), the game board (planned to be served in a web browser) and several player mobile devices (also in web browsers).
One of the many spin-offs from the Game of Life board game was a game called Life on the Farm. I thought I would attempt to recreate the game on the computer. Further, I want to make the gameplay similar to the JackBox games, where each contestant interacts with the game through his or her phone, viewing the game board on a common (usually TV) screen.